Simple Asian Chicken with Rice
- 5 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 eschallots, finely sliced
- Sesame oil
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon from a jar)
- 1.5cm piece ginger, peeled & finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon from a jar)
- 2 red, medium heat chillies, seeded & finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon from a jar)
- 1 cup long grain rice
Half-fill a saucepan with water, and heat over medium to high heat until boiling, and put in your rice. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, stirring only very occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking, then drain and rinse with hot water.
While rice is cooking, in a frying pan, heat some olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil over medium heat, then add the eschallots, garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the chicken, and stir to coat, then cook until chicken is cooked and starting to brown slightly. If you're adding vegetables, throw them in now, so they're tender but not soggy by the time its done. It should start to form its own sauce, but if there is not enough moisture in the pan, you can add a few tablespoons of water or soy sauce to help it along.
Place the rice into a bowl, top with the chicken and a few spoonfuls of the sauce/juices, and dig in!
For something a bit different, try replacing half the rice water with coconut milk or diluted coconut cream. Makes delicious coconut rice!